We use many kinds of energy every day. Sometimes, energy can be dangerous. Here are some ways to stay safe.
NATURAL GAS SAFETY
We use natural gas to warm our homes, cook our food, and heat our water. Natural gas is burned to make heat. That means there is a fire in the furnace and in the water heater. There is even fire on the stove.
Fires can always be dangerous. Do not play near the furnace, water heater, or stove. Never touch them unless an adult is with you.
Natural gas can also be dangerous if there is a leak. The gas company puts a special smell in natural gas. It smells really bad, like rotten eggs. That smell lets you know if there is a gas leak. Your parents or your teacher can show you how it smells.
If you ever smell natural gas, tell an adult. Do not use the phone or turn on the lights. Leave your house right away. Never light a match or start a fire if there is a gas leak.
We use petroleum for lots of jobs. Gasoline runs our cars and our lawn mowers. Sometimes we burn oil in our furnace for heat. We burn kerosene in lanterns.
All of these fuels can be dangerous. You should never put them in your mouth or breathe their fumes. They also burn easily and can cause fires. Tell an adult if there is a spill and stay away from it. Do not try to clean it up yourself.
Propane is used in gas grills and on farms for heat. Propane is stored in tanks. It can be dangerous. Never touch a propane tank. If you hear propane leaking from a tank, or smell gas, tell an adult and stay away. Companies add that same rotten egg smell to propane. Never light a match near a leaking tank of propane.
Electricity is amazing. We use it many times every day. It gives us heat and light and runs appliances-our TV's, computers, refrigerators, hair dryers, and washers.
Electricity can be dangerous. It can cause fires and injuries, even death. Here are some rules for using electricity safely:
-Do not pun anything in an outlet except a plug.
-Do not pull on the cord to unplug an appliance-hold the plug and pull.
-Dry your hands before you plug in or unplug a cord.
-If a plug is broken or a cord is cut or worn, do not use it.
-Turn of a light or unplug it before changing a light bulb.
-Never touch the inside of an appliance while it's plugged in.
-Keep appliances away from water. Do not use a hair dryer near a sink with water in it.
-If there's a big storm, turn off the TV and computer.
-Do not touch any power lines outside.
-Some power lines are underground. If you're digging, and find a wire, do not touch it.
-Do not fly a kite or climb a tree near a power line.